Smoked Eggplant roll, Zucchini pie & Cheesecake



First thing I have to say is "Wow!" -- maybe because this is the first time I got to combine my latest plant-based kick with my favorite cooking method -- the Big Green Egg.  I got this recipe from the Cookbook "The Big Green Egg Cookbook"  -- but I would say the most special part about the recipe is just the idea of it.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Big Green Egg, I suggest you read up on it --  in a nutshell, it can cook things anywhere from very low heat for very long to very high heat for a as long as you want.   In this instance, I took thin sliced (the long way) eggplant, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt & pepper, and grilled them at 500F for 2 minutes per side.  Then put a healthy mix of equal parts Mozzarella & Ricotta, some Parmesan (the recipe called for Romano but I wanted to use up what I had), fresh basil, salt & pepper  on one side of the eggplant slice and then rolled it up. The book calls the recipe "Eggplant Rollatini".  They also give a recipe for a spicy sauce which is similar to how I generally make a tomato sauce -- San Marzano tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, onion and red pepper flakes. Lay the eggplant rolls in a baking dish on top of a little sauce, top with more sauce and some Parmesan and return to the Green Egg (indirect) at 600F to bake.

You might think, "why not just use an oven?"  or a "gas grill" -- but the flavor the Green Egg imparts is a nice smokiness. This dish might be OK in an oven but it is great cooked on the smoker.

I thought the Eggplant needed a side dish so I made my Grandma's "Zucchini Bake" -- I've had the recipe for 30+ years. It is simple and I like it -- I don't know why I rarely make it. Since I believe it is her recipe and I do not think she would mind me sharing it, I'll write it down below.  But I am a bit amazed that, if you knew my previous diet, I accompanied a main vegetable dish with a side vegetable dish... and thought it was an awesome meal.

The Lambic raspberry beer was a tasty addition to the meal.

And then dessert...


I do not usually make desserts but it was Valentine's Day so, what the heck -- after a little recovery time, we enjoyed a Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake --  which was delicious.  I think I messed up the cookie crust bottom a little bit but, otherwise, a success.  My wife made the lattes to go with it. 

Zucchini Bake
1 cup Bisquick
4 Eggs
4 medium zucchini grated and SQUEEZED DRY (very import)
small onion diced finely
1T parsley
1/3 cup of oil
salt & pepper & garlic powder to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Put in 9" pie crust and bake at 350F for about 40-45 mins -- until center is set and toothpick comes out dry.

Comments

Popular Posts