Mediterranean Vegetable Polenta & Naan



I have never made polenta before and, in fact, I have only eaten it once.  I was a bit confused with what corn meal to buy. The recipe called for "fine ground" corn meal. Other recipes online called for "coarse ground".  We've always had a box of corn meal in our pantry that we've used for corn bread or on a pizza peel to keep the dough from sticking. Online searching said that if the product doesn't specify the grind, it is probably "medium ground".

I went to Sprouts and they have a bin of yellow corn meal -- the ground size is labeled. I later went to Von's (aka Safeway) and found corn meal that was labeled " for Polenta" and said "Coarse ground", so I bought that.

I'm guessing I didn't quite get the correct corn meal because I cooked it twice as long as the recipe indicated, in order to get the right consistency -- both thickness and creamier -- but I can say it wasn't nearly as creamy as the one time I had polenta at an Italian cafe.  In any case, it was pretty good but I'm going to have to figure this one out.

Lots of veggies in this recipe-- Eggplant, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Onions, Tomatoes,  and Sun dried tomatoes.  Also, some chickpeas.

I liked it -- I commented to my wife that, in a dish like this,  I had eaten more veggies in one meal than I ate in any entire week (if not, month) before I started this #plantwednesdays kick about 4 months ago.

Because I love bread (and partly as a safety net against a meal I'm not going to like), I made Naan



Comments

Popular Posts