Beef Bourguignon & Pain de Campagne


It started as a joke -- I think my daughter just wanted to say "Beef Bourguignon" while imitating Meryl Streep imitating Julia Childs.  So she asked if we could make it, she had one request though, I had to say "Beef Bourguignon" while doing the same imitation.  For anyone who knows my voice -- which must be several octaves lower than the either of the woman mentioned above -- it was a bit comical (and quickly became annoying).

My daughter said I shouldn't put this recipe on my #plantwednesdays blog because it wasn't a Wednesday and it wasn't plants-only based. But that's exactly why I can put it here -- it's food AND I have not violated using only plants on a Wednesday! :)

This is the first time I've made Beef Bourguignon and, for that matter, I really didn't know what the dish entailed. It's beef stew (but you already knew that).  Only main difference between any other beef stew that I have made is that there's an entire bottle of wine in it.  The Pain de Campagne ("Country Bread") I have made before -- but what was a little bit funny here is that because we were visiting my son & his wife in San Diego (to meet their new puppy), I had to travel with my dough -- after doing a final "feeding" in the morning  at home  and the final mix while we were there. Then leave in time so I could be home to form the loaf.

My daughter & I made the dish together. The recipe was easy & delicious.  I even splurged for some cognac (I would really like to know if that extra step and $$s added anything to the flavor that we would notice).  I bought a Coppola Pinot Noir (I'm a fish out of water in a wine aisle... but I know my beers!).  Whether I could have gotten away with not using the cognac or a cheaper pinot, I have no idea. All I know is that the end product was delicious!

The starter and my pre-mixed flour (AP, whole wheat and dark rye) taking a 160 mile road trip (each way).


The ladies getting to meet for the first time -- my 10.5+ year old Bernese Mountain Dog and the new puppy -- 1/2 German Shepherd, 1/2 Husky.


FUN -- lighting the carrots & onions on fire!


Comments

  1. Hehe nice recap! Glad we got to make the dish together, and while we may have overdone the impression a few times, it was still funny by the end - I just like to tease you ;) Delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can’t take the teasing, I should’ve stopped teasing years ago! Always fun finding new things to make with you - we will set up the home brewery (as soon as you move your stuff out of the garage!) 😀

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts