Forkish NY Pizza


My daughter bought me Ken Forkish's latest book: "The Elements of Pizza" and, like his bread book, "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast",  I highly recommend this book.  This book gives way more detail, specifically about pizza making. Some of the techniques will remind you of FWSY but he givers a variety of recipes and tweaks the methods of making the different types of pizza dough.

I started with the 48-72 hour NY dough and paired it with his recipe for NY pizza sauce and the standard NY cheese pizza.  I also decided to invest in a "pizza steel" after reading about the potential benefits.

I have made quite a few pizzas based off the recipes in FWSY and they have all been very good. When this pizza came out of the oven, I was impressed with the overall look and the way the crust had cooked:


But I can't begin to describe how I felt when I took my first bite -- this, by far, surpassed anything I had made prior to this.  Outside of the pizza I had a few months ago at Nancy Silverton's "Pizzeria Mozza", I cannot think of any other NY-style pizza I would say was better (and, yes, I have experience with pizza in NY).




This dough was a perfect crispy/chewy -- it could be folded without cracking. The sauce was perfect.

I can't wait to make it again -- thankfully, I have one dough ball left from this batch and plan to make it in a few hours!




Comments

Popular Posts