Easter Dough Weekend


I decided to make my take on Swedish Limpa so I could give a loaf to a friend for Easter lunch (he had his parents over and they are all from Sweden) and to make one for myself.  Since my Limpa recipe is my own spin on the Swedish Limpa, I had to start with my sourdough starter on Friday morning.  For the time being, I'm calling my bread "California Limpa" -- I really don't know what to call it. I just know I don't want to insult Swedes by having modified their traditional limpa and calling it that.   I've turned a traditional dense bread into a open crumb, soft bread with a nice crust... I've only stolen the flavors of Limpa (molasses, orange, anise, fennel, sweetness).

On Saturday, I decided I had a craving for Detroit-style pizza so that dough got added into the mix.  And I also decided I wanted some sweet bread to have with my morning coffee on Easter -- and decided, since I had some extra sourdough starter, to try a raspberry & white chocolate sourdough bread from Paul Hollywood's "Bread" book.

The pizza dough was the quickest to go from ingredients to in my stomach -- a total of 4 hours:


On Saturday night (after another sourdough feeding Saturday morning and splitting the starter into two -- one for the limpa, which would contain some more whole wheat,  and the other for the raspberry, which I would only feed bread flour),  I formed the two loaves for limpa and the one loaf for the raspberry bread.  I'm not sure what I was thinking with the overnight rise times. I always put my sourdough loaves in the refrigerator for about a 12 hour proofing (or, as the English like to say, proving).  And I did that with the limpa.  But I left the raspberry bread on the counter.  When I got up Sunday morning, I was in for a bit of a shock


You can see that the raspberry bread was double the size of the proofing basket. 

The limpa was as it should look after proofing:



Because the raspberry bread overflowed, it stuck a bit to the basket, making the bread tear slightly when dumping it out onto my baking stone. That caused a misshapen bread.  The limpa came out looking perfect





I was worried about the raspberry bread but, in the end, it was quite tasty.  The only problem was that my method of mixing in the raspberry & white chocolate didn't properly distribute the ingredients -- something I'll have to work on  (in addition to paying more attention to the proofing time and/or the size of the basket I was using)



Comments

Popular Posts