Roasted Potato Enchilada Verde



I didn't have a recipe for this, I just wanted to try and make my own corn tortillas and came up with something to go with it. 

I roasted some diced potatoes, orange (because I had it) bell pepper, and red onions -- seasoned with cumin & chili powder (actually, my wife did this because I forgot the black beans and had to run to the market).

Made a sauce with a mixture of Salsa Verde that I had made the night before, garlic, sour cream and some Monterey jack cheese.


My wife made some Spanish rice with leftover basmati rice we had from the night before.

I had intended to make enchiladas but, one, didn't end up with enough tortillas and wasn't sure they would roll too well -- I think my mixture of masa harina, olive oil, salt and water was just a little too soft to start -- and I didn't make them big enough.  So I opted for a layered casserole -- some sauce in the casserole dish, a layer of tortillas, layer of veggies, some black beans, sauce and repeat.  Top it with a little more sauce and some extra Monterey Jack cheese.

One reason I started #plantwednesdays was to try and cut down on my saturated fat intake -- this meal didn't qualify for that!!

Turned out pretty tasty -- I will use a higher proportion of salsa verde next time and use double the masa harina and make bigger tortillas!

For the salsa verde:
1-1 1/2 lbs of tomatillos (covering removed and rinsed)
Onion (cut in 4 chunks)
Serranos (4 -- I left seeds in)
Garlic (4 cloves)

Put all in pot, barely cover with water, Boiled & simmered for 10-15 mins
Dumped all in blender with some fresh cilantro. Blend until your preferred consistency.
Put back in pot and bring to boil & simmer until desired consistency. Add salt (1-2 tsp).

Comments

Popular Posts