Zucchini Parmesan



An exciting meal to make because it is the first one I am making with homegrown vegetables. A trip to my "farm" revealed a couple of nice sized zucchinis to harvest



I started a  bread from poolish the night before -- in short, mixing equal parts flour & water with a pinch of yeast at night and then, in the morning (12+ hours later),  adding the same amount of flour again with 1/2 as much water, a tad more yeast, some salt,  rise 3 hours; form loaves, rise another 1-1.5 hours and bake




After the bread was ready,  I made my basic tomato sauce (hand crushed San Marzano tomatoes from a can; basil; oregano (from the garden); garlic; salt; pepper; red pepper flakes; sugar; wine -- brought to a boil then simmered for an hour+ to thicken to my desired consistency).  While that was cooking, I sliced the zucchini the long way and floured, dipped in egg, and then coated with panko and Parmesan and then cooked in a little bit of hot olive oil.  Then I was ready to assemble.

First the bread -- the poolish bread cooked on a stone gives a slightly crispy crust with a nice, soft, semi-open crumb:


I also decided (forgot to mention this above) that I also cooked some red pepper slices in the same pan as the zucchini and added that as a bottom layer (after broiling the bottom slightly)


Then topped with plenty of zucchini, sauce and mozzarella




Broiled again and sliced to share!

Comments

Popular Posts