Celery soup & Stout Bread


  As usual, if the recipe comes from a book, I just mention the book  to avoid any copyright problems. In this case, the recipes for the celery soup and stout bread both came from Paul Hollywood's "Bread" book.

  I didn't have enough time to make a proper (yeast) bread and I wanted something other than biscuits -- so I thought of trying the Stout Bread, as I had some Guinness on hand.  The recipe is a mix of about 75% whole wheat to 25% white flour -- and quite a lot (750g total) for a standard loaf pan (I do not make a lot of breads in loaf pans but, when I do, it's usually around 500g of flour).  Stout accounted for most of the hydration (40%) with buttermilk making up the rest (30%).  Some baking soda, brown sugar and salt.  Baked a a high temp (450) for a little bit and then lowered to (350) for a little bit.

  Bottom line, I would recommend Paul Hollywood's book, "Bread",  but not for this recipe.

  The soup on the other hand was pretty tasty and super easy -- though nothing unique about the recipe in the book.  Some celery, leek, potato, vegetable stock, milk & cream -- it's is a very creamy soup and definitely worth it for its easy of prep to taste ratio. :)


Comments

Popular Posts